Problem & Solution
There is growing recognition around the world, nationally and here in the Commonwealth that intensifying commercial, industrial, recreational and other demands on our ocean ecosystems require a comprehensive approach to ocean resource management that supports ecosystem health and economic vitality, balances current ocean uses, and considers future needs. Fragmented, sector-by-sector management approaches are not working.
Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning (CMSP) addresses a full range of human uses across sectors, is supported by credible science, incorporates public and user-group input, is adaptable to changing needs, and ultimately, supports sustainable marine industries and resilient ocean ecosystems.
Some Benefits of CMSP include:
- Fewer permitting conflicts
- Reduced risk for marine investors
- Support for long-term planning
- Streamlined regulatory processes
- Reduced need for crisis management by user groups
- Resilient ecosystems and thriving marine industries